The Red Light Bandit ( Portuguese : O Bandido da Luz Vermelha ) is a 1968 Brazilian crime movie directed by Rogério Sganzerla ,  inspired by the crimes of the real-life burglar João Acácio Pereira da Costa, Known as the “Red Light Bandit “( Bandido da Luz Vermelha ).  The film is a representative work of marginal cinema . Sganzerla was 21 years old when he directed it. 
A sequel directed by Ícaro Martins and Helena Ignez , widow of Sganzerla, was released in 2010: Luz nas Trevas – Volta do Bandido da Luz Vermelha .  
Jorge, a Sao Paulo house burglar, nicknamed by the press the “Red Light Bandit”, baffles the police by using peculiar techniques. Always carrying a flashlight, he rapes his victims, have long dialogues with them and makes daring escapes to after spending the profits of his crimes.
He has an affair with the femme fatale Janete Jane, meets other burglars, has corrupt politician and gets betrayed. Pursued and cornered, he commits suicide.
- Paulo Villaça as Jorge, the Red Light Bandit
- Helena Ignez and Janete Jane
- Luiz Linhares as police officer Cabeção
- Pagano Sobrinho as JB da Silva
- Roberto Luna as Lucho Gatica
- José Marinho as Tarzan
- Ezequiel Neves as Reporter
- Sérgio Mamberti as Homossexual
- Renato Consorte as TV host
- Sérgio Hingst as Millionaire
- Lola Brah as Rich Woman
- Antonio Lima as Gangster
- Ozualdo Candeias as Criminal
- Maurice Capovilla as Gangster
- Carlos Reichenbach as Gangster
Awards and nominations
1968 Festival of Brasília (Brazil) 
- Best Costume
- Best Director
- Best Editing
- Best Movie
- Jump up^ Xavier, Ismail (1997). Allegories of Underdevelopment: Aesthetics and Politics in Modern Brazilian Cinema . U of Minnesota Press. ISBN 9780816626779 .
- Jump up^ “Memory of the World National Cinematic Heritage” (PDF) . Unesco. 1995 . Retrieved 17 February 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Rep Diary: Tropicália – Movie Comment” . Movie How . Retrieved 2016-02-17 .
- Jump up^ “Continuação de ‘O bandido da luz vermelha’ estreia em festival na Suíça” . Pop & Arte (in Portuguese) . Retrieved 2016-02-17 .
- Jump up^ Felperin, Leslie (2010-08-19). “Review: ‘Light in Darkness: The Return of the Red Light Bandit ‘ ” . Variety . Retrieved 2017-07-13 .
- Jump up^ Sganzerla, Rogério (2008). O bandido da luz vermelha: argumento e roteiro (in Portuguese). Impressed Oficial Do Estado. ISBN 9788570606693 .