Man on Wire is a 2008 British-American biographical documentary film directed by James Marsh . The film chronicles Philippe Petit’s 1974 high-wire walk between the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Center . It is based is Petit’s book, To Reach the Clouds , released in paperback with the title Man on Wire . The title of the film is taken from the police, which was last done for almost one hour. The film is crafted like a film , presenting rare footage of the preparations for the event and still photographs of the walk, alongside re-enactments (withPaul McGill as the young) and present-day interviews with the participants, including Barry Greenhouse, an insurance executive who served as the inside man. 
Man on Wire in the World Cinema Documentary Competition  at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival , where it won the Grand Jury Prize : World Cinema Documentary and the World Cinema Audience Award: Documentary.  In February 2009, the film won the BAFTA for Outstanding British Film, the Independent Spirit Awards , and the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature .
The film ‘s producer Simon Chinn first encountered Philippe Petit in April 2005 on BBC Radio 4’ s Desert Island Discus , to which he decided to try to win the film rights to his book, To Reach the Clouds . After months of discussion, Little agreed, with the condition that he could actively collaborate in the making of the film. In an interview Conducted During the run of Man on Wire at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival , director James Marsh Explained That He Was drawn to the story in hand Because It time immediately struck _him_ as “a heist movie .” As Jean Francois, one of Petit’s collaborators later said, “It may have been illegal … but it was not wicked or mean.” 
Marsh also said, as a New Yorker, he saw the movie as a gift to the city since the 9/11 attacks . He said that he will be happy to say that he will always be able to think of the world’stwin towers.  Marsh explained that it was “incredibly beautiful” and that it “would be unfair and wrong to infect his story”. , discussion or imagery of the Towers being destroyed. ” 
Man on Wire opened theatrically on 29 August 2008 in the United States, earning $ 51,392 in its first weekend, ranking number 37 in the domestic box office.  By the end of its run, on 5 March 2009, the film grossed $ 2,962,242 in the United States and Canada and $ 2,296,327 overseas for a worldwide total of $ 5,258,569. 
The movie won the Special Jury Award and Audience Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival ,  the International Audience Award at the Los Angeles Film Festival and the Standard Life Audience Award at the Edinburgh International Film Festival .  The film also won the Jury Prize and Audience Award in the World Cinema: Documentary Competition at the Sundance Film Festival . Man on Wire is the sixth film to pick up both top awards at Sundance, and the first from outside the US.  In February 2009, the film won the BAFTA for Outstanding British Film, and Best Documentary Film in the Australian Film Critics Association Awards. It won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 81st Academy Awards . 
Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes Reported That 100% of the file Managed 154 reviews They Have-have-been positive. As of August 2008, this was the second-best reviewed movie on the website. The film also received a “Golden Tomato” for best documentary of 2008.  On Metacritic , Man on Wire holds a weighted average score of 89 out of 100 based on 31 critics, indicating “universal acclaim.” 
Top ten lists
The film appeared on many critics’ top ten lists of the best movies of 2008.  Movie City News shows that the film appeared in 76 different top ten lists, out of 286 different critics’ lists surveyed, the joint 7th ‘most mentions “We have a top ten list of the films released in 2008. 
Much of the film’s soundtrack is derived from the 2006 album, The Composer’s Cut Series Vol. II: Nyman / Greenaway Revisited , a collection of works by Michael Nyman for films by British director Peter Greenaway .
- “Fish Beach” – Michael Nyman (from Drowning by Numbers )
- “History of the Insipid” – Michael Nyman (from The Libertine )
- ” Albatross ” – Fleetwood Mac
- “Dreams of a Journey” – Michael Nyman (from The Piano )
- “Time Lapse” – Michael Nyman (from A Zed & Two Noughts )
- “The Disposition of Linen” – Michael Nyman (from The Draftsman’s Contract )
- ” A Fifth of Beethoven ” – Walter Murphy
- “Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds” – Michael Nyman (from The Draughtsman’s Contract )
- “An Eye For Optical Theory” – Michael Nyman (from The Draughtsman’s Contract )
- The Lark Ascending – English Northern Philharmonia (composed by Ralph Vaughan Williams )
- “Ramble in St. James’s Park” – Michael Nyman (from The Libertine )
- “Passage of Equality” – Michael Nyman (from The Traversée de Paris )
- ” In the Hall of the Mountain King ” – Philadelphia Orchestra (composed by Edvard Grieg )
- “Drowning By Number 2” – Michael Nyman (from Drowning by Numbers )
- “Trysting Fields / Sheep ‘n’ Tides” – Michael Nyman (from Drowning by Numbers )
- ” Memorial ” – Michael Nyman
- “Leaving Home” – J. Ralph
- “Leaving Home Sunday Exploration” (End Credits) – J. Ralph
- ” Gnossian No. 1″ – Gheorghe Constantinescu, pianist (composed by Erik Satie )
- ” Gymnopédie No. 1″ – Anne Queffélec , pianist (composed by Erik Satie), this music also used for the DVD menu
Joseph Gordon-Levitt starring as Little in the movie The Walk (2015), directed, produced and written by Robert Zemeckis .  The film was released on 9 October 2015.
- The Man Who Walked Between the Towers
- List of movies with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes , a movie review aggregator website
- Jump up^ ” MAN ON WIRE (12A)” . British Board of Film Classification . 17 June 2008 . Retrieved 24 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Case Study – Man On Wire ‘s Soaring Success | News | Screen” . screendaily.com . Retrieved 2014-01-31 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Man on Wire (2008) – Box Office Mojo” . boxofficemojo.com . Retrieved 2014-01-31 .
- Jump up^ AO Scott (25 July 2008). “Walking on Air Between the Towers” . NY Times . Retrieved 16 June 2015 .
- Jump up^ “2008 Sundance Film Festival Announces Films in Competition” (PDF). 28 November 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 June 2008 . Retrieved 7 January 2008 .
- Jump up^ “2008 Sundance Film Festival Announces Awards” (PDF) . 26 January 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 June 2008.
- Jump up^ Man on Wire , Magnolia Pictures
- Jump up^ Jerney Makoa (24 July 2008). “On The Circuit: Man on Wire | Zoom In – News, Events, Training and Community for Creatives” . Archived fromthe original on 31 May 2008 . Retrieved 25 July 2008 .
- Jump up^ Neil Smith (August 2, 2008). “BBC NEWS: Wire walk movie omits 9/11 tragedy” . BBC News . Retrieved 3 August 2008 .
- Jump up^ “Weekend Box Office Results for July 25-27, 2008” .
- Jump up^ “Full Frame Documentary Announces Festival Film Festival Winners Award”,fullframefest.org.
- Jump up^ “Man on Wire Wins Again”,walltowall.co.uk.
- Jump up^ “Wall to Wall Takes Two at Sundance Film Festival”
- Jump up^ “Movie Winners in 2009” . bafta.org . BAFTA . Retrieved 8 February2009 .
- Jump up^ “Nominees for the 81st Academy Awards” . Retrieved 12 February2009 .
- Jump up^ ” Man on Wire at Rotten Tomatoes” . Retrieved 16 August 2008 .
- Jump up^ ” Man on Wire Reviews” . Metacritic . CBS Interactive . Retrieved 21 August 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab “Metacritic: 2008 Film Critic Top Ten Lists” . Metacritic . Archived from the original on 24 February 2010 . Retrieved 11 January 2009 .
- Jump up^ David Poland (2008). “The 2008 Movie City News Top Ten Awards” . Archived from the original on 6 February 2009 . Retrieved 25 January2009 .
- Jump up^ “Joseph Gordon-Levitt set to star in TriStars To Walk the Clouds” . Retrieved 2014-04-28 .