Hedgehog in the Fog ( Russian : Ёжик в тумане , tr. Yozhik v Tumane , IPA: [jɵʐɨk tʊmanʲɪ f] ) is a 1975 Soviet animated movie directed by Yuriy Norshteyn ,  produced by theSoyuzmultfilm studio in Moscow .   The Russian script was written by Sergei Kozlov, who also published a book under the same name. In 2006, Norshteyn published a book titledHedgehog in the Fog , listing himself as an author alongside Kozlov. 
This is a story about a little hedgehog (voiced by Maria Vinogradova), who is on his way to visit his friend the cub bear. As explained in the introductory narration, the two would meet every evening to drink tea from the cub’s samovar , which was heated on a fire of juniper twigs. As they drank their tea, the hedgehog and the bear would count and stars together.
On this day, the hedgehog decides to bring the bear cub some raspberry jam . As Hedgehog heads out, a sinister looking eagle-owl is following him. Hedgehog passes through the woods and encounters a beautiful white horse standing in a fog. He is curious to the horse if he would go to sleep in the fog. The hedgehog decides to explore the fog for himself. As he goes down the slope, it is soon so thick that the hedgehog can not even see his own paw.
The fog alternately thickens and thins; when it thins the hedgehog briefly catches wave sight of objects and creatures which disappear again as the fog thickens. Hedgehog finds itself in a world of darkness and frightening world by shapes, which are not always identifiable and various creatures, and in a world of silence and rustles, darkness, tall grass, and enchanting stars.
The owl, which has been following the hedgehog, appears to him suddenly and hoots; only to disappear again, prompting the Hedgehog to call it a psycho ( Russian : псих ). The hedgehog is frightened, but his curiosity keeps him exploring the unknown. Occasionally an unseen remote voice is heard calling out for Hedgehog. As Hedgehog explores a large hollow tree, he realizes he has lost the raspberry jam. As he stumbles along, a large dog finds him and gives it to him.
Hedgehog falls into a river and believes he is going to drown. He floats downstream on his back and is rescued, possibly by a fish, and is set on shore. The Hedgehog arrives at the campfire where cub bear is brewing tea. Bear (voiced by Vyacheslav Nevinniy ) explains that he was calling for the hedgehog, worried that he was late. The two sit together drinking tea and the bear talks and the hedgehog thinks of the horse.  
|Director||Yuriy Norshteyn (Юрий Норштейн)|
|Writer||Sergei Kozlov (Сергей Козлов)|
|Art Director||Francheska Yarbusova (Франческа Ярбусова)|
|Animator||Yuriy Norshteyn (Юрий Норштейн)|
|Camera Operator||Alexandr Zhukovskiy (Александр Жуковский)|
|Compose||Mikhail Meyerovich (Михаил Меерович)|
|Sound Operator||Boris Filchikov (Борис Фильчиков)|
|Script Editor||Natalya Abramova (Наталья Абрамова)|
|Voice Actors||Alexei Batalov (Алексей Баталов) Narrator
Maria Vinogradova (Мария Виноградова) Hedgehog
Vyacheslav Nevinny (Вячеслав Невинный) Bear cub
|Movie Editor||Nadezhda Treshchyova (Надежда Трещёва)|
- 1976- Frunze All-Union Film Festival : Hedgehog in the Fog “best animated film”
- 1976- Tehran Children’s and Youth Film Festival: Hedgehog in the Fog “best animated film”
- 2003- Tokyo All time animation best 150 in Japan and Worldwide: Hedgehog in the Fog “№1 Animated film of all time”
The fog effects were created by putting on a very thin piece of paper on the face and slowly lifting it up towards the camera frame-by-frame until everything behind it became blurry and white. 
Hedgehog in the Fog (1975) was ranked # 1 in a poll at the 2003 Laputa Animation Festival where 140 animators from around the world voted for the best animated movies of all time. 
Since January 2009 the main character (the Hedgehog) from the movie has a statue in the capital city of Ukraine , Kiev . 
The Film Was referenced in the third episode of the eighth season of the animated comedy series Family Guy , ” Spies Reminiscent of Us “, in 2009.
The opening ceremonies for the 2014 Winter Olympics referenced this work, mentioning it in a list of signature Russian accomplishments and artists, including Fyodor Dostoyevsky , Leo Tolstoy , and Sputnik. [ quote needed ]
- History of Russian animation
- List of stop-motion movies
- List of movies considered the best
- Night on the Galactic Railroad
- Jump up^ Jeff Lenburg (2006). Who’s Who in Animated Cartoons: An International Guide to Film & Television’s Award-winning and Legendary Animators . Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 264. ISBN 978-1-557-83671-7 .
- Jump up^ “Hedgehog in the Fog” (1975) “The 77 best kids’ movies . telegraph.co.uk . 6 May 2017 . Retrieved 25 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Clare Kitson (2005). Yuri Norstein and Tale of Tales: An Animator’s Journey . Indiana University Press. pp. 46-48. ISBN 978-0-253-21838-4 .
- Jump up^ Ежик в тумане. Ozon.ru. Retrieved on 2012-11-23.
- Jump up^ Maureen Thomas, François Penz (2003). Architectures of Illusion: From Motion Pictures to Navigable Interactive Environments . Intellect Books. ISBN 978-1-841-50045-4 .
- Jump up^ Mark Whitehead (2004). Animation: The Pocket Essential Guide . Summersdale Publishers LTD – ROW. p. 113. ISBN 978-1-848-39836-8 .
- Jump up^ “Все свободны” – разговор на свободные темы. svoboda.org (2007-07-04)
- Jump up^ 世界と日本のアニメーションベスト150 . ふゅーじょんぷろ. 2003.
- Jump up^ Monument to “Hedgehog in Fog” appeared in Kyiv,UNIAN(2009-01-27)